Thursday, April 17, 2014

Kansas Senator Jerry Moran chooses corporations over constituents

Last week I discovered my disgusting asshat of a congressional representative Mike Pompeo was sponsoring a bill at the federal level designed to squash the efforts in 24 individual states to force food companies to label foods with GMOs.  Of course, I immediately wrote my Kansas senators encouraging them to stand against this bill.

Below is the response I received from Senator Jerry Moran, who I've viewed until recently as the "good guy" in the Kansas congressional delegation.  It would seem that Senator Moran is more interested in representing the interests of the giant corporations over my natural right to know what's in the food they're creating for me to buy.  Not such a good guy, after all.  But what did I expect?  I already knew no candidate actually wins an election for a federal office without being in the pocket of banks and corporations.  I guess I need to release my grip on the last shred of hope I held that there are still secretly some decent people in Washington, D.C.

Ol' Jerry, in the tried and true style of political subterfuge, assured me that the United States has the safest food supply in the world (so, like, why try to make it safer?) and that the FDA makes sure nothing harmful ever touches the market.  Maybe he should tell that to the victims of all the dangerous drugs that made Big Pharma millions before being pulled.  Never mind that GMOs haven't been in the food supply long enough to determine the long term effects.  Never mind that no system is in place to link the possible (nay, probable) harmful effects of GMOs in the food supply to the food themselves - exactly BECAUSE there's no tracking of what foods do and do not contain GMOs!

I think I'll write Senator Moran back to let him know where his reasoning fails and explain to him that I'm not one of these American sheeple who will accept a politicians pat answer and just move along.

So, moral of the story is that Jerry Moran, like Pat Roberts, Mike Pompeo and the rest of the good ol' boys from Kansas on Capitol Hill, is not a good guy.

As promised, here's the response he sent:
The United States has the safest food supply in the world.  It is in our country's best interest to continue to protect the integrity of food production.   I appreciate knowing your views on labeling genetically engineered food . Under federal law, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) must determine whether genetically engineered plants and animals are safe for human consumption before the products  can be marketed.  The FDA, in conjunction with the United States Department of Agriculture and the Environmental Protection Agency , review the science and safety of all  genetically modified organisms (GMO's) intended for human consumption.   There is currently no scientific consensus or evidence indicating that GMO's are harmful for human consumption.  By the year 2050, the planet's population is expected to reach well over 9 billion.  We must develop technologies and prepare for  population growth if we are to avoid world hunger.  I will continue to monitor the science behind GMO's.  I am grateful for the opportunity Kansans have given me to serve them in the United States Senate.    If you are interested in learning more about my efforts on your behalf, I encourage you to visit moran.senate.gov.    Please let me know if I can be of service to you or your family in the future.
Very truly yours,

Jerry Moran 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments ARE NOT PERMITTED!

If you will not stand behind your words, your words will not stand on this blog and you should go troll somewhere else..